Thursday, March 8, 2012

Book review: A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

I think it's safe to say that I was disappointed by this book. Very disappointed with it. 

Things that I liked: 

- The title, although I didn't really see much relevance to the book. 
- The cover. 
- Despite the ranting that's about to go down, it was enjoyable and considering that I actually managed to finish it, I think that's a good sign. 
- It was hardback, which meant that when I through it across the room in anger, it didn't damage it much. 


Things that I didn't like: 

The plot: I mean, seriously? Angels are cool and all, but two new "hot" guys starting in a new school? Can't we be a LITTLE more creative here? Can't the author have slipped them in another way? WHY DOES IT ALWAYS HAVE TO BE SCHOOL? I get it, school is a big part of a teenagers life (trust me, I know) but it's just too over-used now. Also, the fact that Asher watches Skye in her sleep. It's creepy, it's disturbing, and I don't like it. It makes such a connection with Twilight, don't you think. As soon as someone even mentions that, my mind instantly goes to Twilight. Don't get me wrong, I love Twilight and I think that they are amazing books, but I don't really need to read about guys watching girls in their sleep in every YA paranormal book. It's not exactly necessary, and doesn't drive the plot in any way. That's another thing: In about 80% of the book, nothing really happened. I mean -- stuff happened, but pointless boring stuff that just made me feeling like throwing the book across the room. (I actually did, in the end I was so pissed off.) The ending felt rushed, whilst a lot of the other parts of the book dragged slowly along. 

Characters: Devin and Asher, good boy bad boy. It kind of reminded me of Luc and Gabe (Personal Demons) except not as good. Skye. Skye was alright. I didn’t hate her, but neither could I relate to her or like her. The Aunt. (Forgot her name.) I hate it how parents (or carers, Skye’s parents are dead -- died in a car-crash (why is it always a car-crash?)) are never actually around in this. Don’t they take an interest in her life? I get that she has a demanding job or whatever, but it’s just an excuse that the author has used to not bothering to actually figure out what to do with her. 

Setting: Yeah, cold snowy place. Whatever. 

Overall thoughts: May or may NOT pick up the sequel. Depends how desperate for books I am. 

My advice to you: Don’t read this is you’re looking for something unique and good, otherwise it will be a massive disappointment as it was to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment